History

Here are the highlights of St. Luke’s Lutheran Church’s History:

  • Organized on August 31, 1921 ~ 39 Charter Members met at the YMCA on South Street (now the downtown parking ramp)
  • November 28, 1922 ~ purchased property at the corner of Grand Avenue & Carroll Street for future building plans
  • March 27, 1927 ~ dedicated the Red Brick Church
  • 1942 ~ Pastor Glenn Cloninger called
  • June 7, 1953 ~ approved construction of the Parish House
  • December 5, 1954 ~ dedicated the Parish House
  • 1958 ~ first women elected to the Council of Elders
  • August 1965 ~ last service in the Red Brick Church ~ ground breaking for the new church
  • December 18, 1966 ~ dedicated the new St. Luke’s Church Building
  • June 1975 ~ mortgage burned
  • 1989 ~ major renovation & addition started including elevator
  • July 1996 ~ 75th Anniversary of St. Luke’s ~ Remembering Yesterday, Celebrating Today, Anticipating Tomorrow
  • August 1996 ~ Child Life Ministries started
  • 2000 ~ second major building & equipment project started (completed in 2004)
  • 2005 ~ MET Team and Call Committee formed
  • July 2006 ~ Pastor Kathy Boadwine and Pastor Gary Liedtke
  • March 2013 ~ Pastor Karen Pahl
  • March 2016 ~ Building Renewal Project started to update sanctuary, chapel, Hospitality Area, gathering spaces, and restrooms.
  • June 2016 ~ Pastor Doug Andersen called as term pastor for 2.5 years
  • November 2018 ~ Rev. Dr. Lindsay Paul Jordan called as Senior Pastor

Additional history information can be found in our history area in the hallway outside of the Meeting Room.